Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Youth's Truths: Getting Involved in Your Church

Dear Reader, 


This was the first ever Youth's Truths, if you recall the original mission of 10:31 Ministries was to serve as a thought provoking Youth Ministry outlet. Now obviously things have changed and with the addition of Angel Edwards to our writing team we have managed to make Youth Ministry a part of our ministry. 


The purpose of this particular edition was to continue to follow the theme of the importance of Church Attendance. Remember that in these days we did themed months, every article from that first month was on this topic of the church. 


I got to share a bit of my trip into leadership as an AWANA leader and the adventure that ensued, I must admit, this may be one of my favorite releases to date because it reminds me that it doesn't matter what the age is we can still be effective instruments of God's grace. 


Enjoy!
Jonathan Faulkner, 10:31 Life Director 




To see the original post Click Here




By Jonathan Faulkner 

Hey what’s up it’s Jon Faulkner with 10:31 Ministries and this is Youth’s Truth’s. 

When I was in sixth grade I graduated from AWANA. On the final night of the 9 month children’s program hosted by Albany Baptist Church I was asked by our commander at the time Jeff Scholl asked me to come back the following year at a L.I.T (Leader in Training) in the area of game time (one of my personal favorite times) 

Now in sixth grade I can honestly tell you that I was not saved but I took the position offered me thinking “I can impress people” That mentality lasted about three months into the next year. About that time I didn’t care if I impressed anyone or not and therefore AWANA’s was not as important to me. I went every week and helped out and went to the meetings but for the most part I didn’t care. 

In the Fall of my eighth grade year of High School I surrendered my life to Christ. Struggling with my new found faith I was in my second year as an AWANA leader, I was also trying to be a member of our Youth Groups praise band. I think I sang with them on stage once during my first stint with the band. 

As I began to grow and let God take control I found a new joy in AWANA’s. In fact about the end of my second year as an AWANA worker I was so excited to return for the next year, that year as a full blown leader (okay second in command at game time, but I was excited) 

Of course those first three years of AWANA’s the one and a half I had been saved and the one I wasn’t I was really stagnant. I taught the games and didn’t do much else as far as encouraging the kids to live as they were being taught. I was in that “Comfort zone” that caused me so much trouble those first two years. 

Then in the winter of 06 God challenged me to step out of my comfort zone, now this was in my third year of AWANA’s and two years earlier I had signed up to be a missionary for Global Expeditions. However when I started raising the funds to go to Dallas in the summer of 2007 I was not where I needed to be spiritually. Through winter and spring I began to really grow in my walk with Christ and he took me far beyond that comfort zone. From there I never looked back. 

In the very end of my second year of AWANA’s I got reinstated into the praise band as a vocalist and this time got to lead worship and be a leader in my Youth Group. We sang youth Sunday (we still have a tape of that first Youth Sunday sometime near the beginning of the 06-07 school year.

After my missions trip to Dallas I took my role as an AWANA leader more seriously than before. I really began trying to get involved in the kids lives and show them the awesome love of Jesus Christ, I wasn’t about to be stagnant anymore. 

When both praise team drummers left within three months of each other I stepped up to the plate and began playing drums for the band, when we went acoustic I played bongo’s and sang. 

Then in the winter of 2007-08 I got involved with my churches production team as a Graphic designer. I ran the worship service and sermon powerpoints, I was also responsible for putting the worship service words together and inserting the pre-service countdown or videos. 

My point dear friends is not to say “Look what I did” no, it is in fact to show you that you can be involved in your church. In fact I would encourage you to get involved in your local church,. Dear friends why have we become so stagnant and comfortable saying “I don’t want to serve because it will take from my time” God’s given you gifts and abilities, show those, and not just in your churches but in your relationships and your schools. 

And if your church will not allow you to serve I’m sorry to say this but, find another church that will allow you to grow your spiritual gifts and put them into practice. 1st Timothy 4:12 says “Do not let anyone look down on you because of you age” 

I pray dear friends that you will find this challenge worth taking, let’s get involved as servant leaders. Let’s use our gifts and abilities to make a radical change in the world through our love of serving and our love of using our gifts. 

God Bless
Jon Faulkner

Some thoughts to leave you with

King David was 16 when he went into the service of Saul, if the man after God’s own Heart can serve so young then you 12-18 year olds can do the same. 

“Each of you should use his gifts to the best of his abilities” Jesus 

When you wake up tomorrow ask yourself this question “How can I serve someone today? How can I use my gifts and abilities to bless someone else today? 




Also Available from 10:31 Life Ministries 
The Truth: Why Love the Word?  by Jonathan Faulkner
A Chosen Generation: Devoured, Withered, Choked and...Alive? by Angel Edwards


To learn more about 10:31 Life Ministries check us out on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/1031ministries





No comments:

Post a Comment